Thursday, November 30, 2006

HaTara'a & The Messianic Muad'Dib

Ayrkain of Tikkun Kelim commented regarding my entry Mighty Mouse Of Emunah:

In Dune, Paul Atreides takes on the name Muad'Dib (the Kangaroo Mouse) which is related to the concept of 'Mahdi' by similarity of sound and the lessons that are attributed to the mouse. Seems like an interesting trail of correspondence that links in with your mouse experiences.


Muad'Dib (the kangaroo mouse) is the openly known "secret" name of the messianic Dune character. Mahdi (مهدي translit: Mahdī, also Mehdi; "Guided One" ), in Islamic eschatology, is the prophesied redeemer. Of Muad'Dib it is written:

Muad'Dib is associated with earth-spirit mythology and known for his ability to survive in the open desert. Muad'Dib is wise in the ways of the desert. Muad'Dib creates his own water. Muad'Dib hides from the sun and travels in the cool night. Muad'Dib is fruitful and multiplies over the land.

Of the kangaroo mouse, it is written:
The mouse never drinks water, instead deriving it metabolically from the foods it eats. The kangaroo mouse collects food and maintains large caches in their burrows, which are excavated to a length of between 3 and 8 feet (1 to 2.5 meters). The burrow, the entrance to which the mouse covers during daylight hours, is also used to raise litters of between 2 and 7 young. The Pale Kangaroo Mouse burrows only in fine sand, while the Dark Kangaroo Mouse prefers fine, gravelly soils but may also burrow in sand or sandy soil. Kangaroo mice are nocturnal, and are most active in the two hours following sunset. They are believed to hibernate during cold weather.

Now we can see why mouse rules the water in Anishinaabe Native American tradition, a tradition of my ancestors. Mouse creates the water it needs through the processes of its own physical body! (see Aramaic תרעא tara'a, gate of malchut into the mysteries) Three additional points here tie into my personal experience with this power animal:

  1. This morning as I was laying in bed after waking, I had a flash of vision - my awareness was centered within an encompassing darkness like a cave. From this dark cave, just like mouse might, "I" was looking out from the darkness of the cave beyond into the light. Beyond the boundaries of the cave, encircling all around, was chaos. This chaos "appeared" like "almost things" of "everything all at once" turning all around the place where I was - in the cave of darkness. אתהפכא חשוכא לנהורא

  2. When I was a little girl, my parents were always trying to coax me out of "hibernation", as I was usually holed up in my room doing something. They wanted me to get out more. But, I was happy "hibernating". I still do it.

  3. I am a person of the night, a nocturnal creature. Just like Muad'Dib. I usually don't go to bed until about 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning. This is my natural biorhythm.

Mouse as a power animal so fits me.

Technorati tags:

No comments:

Dare to be true to yourself.