Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Circle Casting & Sovev Kol Almin

ללאכו המסובבת

In Talmud there exists the famous story of Choni HaMa'agel (חוני המעגל). Choni the circle-drawer was a miracle-worker.

Nevertheless, I do not want to name the sacred circles I cast as a Jewitch using the root עגל which means both circle and calf. From this root is born the word used for calf in the idolatrous golden calf incident we read about in Shemot 32. Consequently, I won't call myself a Ma'agelet.

I prefer to use the root סבב which means surrounding, encircle, rotate and turn events [1]. From this root comes sovev kol almin ("surrounding all worlds"), which is the transcendent Divine energy which permeates the universe. This is the energy I choose with which to cast my sacred circle.

Liorah Lluecu HaMasovevet.

Footnote:

[1] Etymological Dictionary of Biblical Hebrew, R' Matityahu Clark

Technorati tags:

2 comments:

Oli said...

hi there,
I found your journal while searching for information on sovev and memale, two Jewish concepts I've only just learned about that illuminate my experiences of the Divine. I'm a Jewitch too and was glad to find your words-- feel free to check mine out at starfrosting.livejournal.com if you'd like.
peace,
Oli

Lori said...

I have a livejournal too. I just friended you there.

Dare to be true to yourself.