Wednesday, April 25, 2007

JIBs, Walking On Fire Hacked

ח' באייר תשס"ז

Apparently the JIBs have been hacked by an organization emanating its influence out of Istanbul, Turkey. The JIB (Jewish and Israeli Blog award) site is no longer online and has been wiped out.

While Walking On Fire is currently online, this afternoon when I booted up and came online to blog, I discovered that Walking On Fire had been hacked. My site was covered over completely by black, a large black jpg perhaps. I saw that my blog existed "behind" the black graphic covering it. With dial-up, things move slow, and it took a bit of time for the black graphic to cover it over. So, I saw that my site wasn't gone, but that it was being covered up by a black graphic or some similar script. Nothing I could do removed it from my site (or browser - I don't understand technically how these things work, and other pages I tried to bring up similarly "blacked out"). I literally cried at the thought of being totally cut off from the world outside this little place where I live and not being able to blog.

After I rebooted, it was gone and my site (and my computer generally) was okay. So, I'm not sure what happened and who is hacking my site (or computer). Unlike the JIBs, I don't have the resources to track down the identities of those responsible for cybercrime directed at Walking On Fire.

UPDATE: Blogger Barbara's Tchatzkahs also reports that the same thing happened to her site that happened to mine with the "black square". Her site was struck even worse than mine, with large chunks of her template deleted. She is also a JIB nominee.

UPDATE: The JIB site has been fixed and is again operational. Voting has resumed.

Technorati tags:

3 comments:

YMedad said...

Funny but unless you are being satirical, I don't understand. Their blog is up and has been up all day with no hacking souvenirs.

Lori said...

Perhaps they fixed the problem. I don't know.

Avromi said...

They worked very hard to fix the problem - only their homepage was effected.

Dare to be true to yourself.