Sunday, June 24, 2007

With Lifted, Covered Eyes

ח' בתמוז תשס"ז

In this week's parashah Balak, we learn that Bilaam experienced prophecy [1] while fallen and with uncovered eyes (נפל וגלוי עינים).

Ramban believes [2] that "fallen" means that Bilaam experienced prophecy when he was in a sleep-like trance devoid of his conscious faculties, in contradistinction to Moshe who experienced prophecy in full possession of his conscious faculties.

Rashi, citing Onkelos, believes [2] that "fallen" means that Bilaam's vision came to him at night when he reclined in bed.

Ibn Ezra believes [2] that "uncovered eyes" means that Bilaam's psyche was open and conscious to receive prophecy.

In contrast to these sages, I believe that the phrase נפל וגלוי עינים means that Bilaam experienced prophecy in an unrectified (fallen) and unprotected (uncovered) state. In other words, Bilaam's prophecy derived from unrectified da'at and was "not covered" (that is, not protected) by the kruvim, while Mosheh's prophecy derived from rectified mature da'at and was "covered" (that is, protected) by the kruvim.

Interestingly, during my Shabbat tarot reading, sitting upright at my architech's desk, I lifted my eyes to my computer, in full possession of my conscious faculties to see the kruv, covering and protecting me. Consequently, my prophecy as a Jewitch derives from rectified, mature da'at and is protected (covered) by the kruvim.

Footnotes:

[1] Bamidbar 24:4
[2] Artscroll Chumash, Stone Edition, commentary on Bamidbar 24:4

Technorati tags:

No comments:

Dare to be true to yourself.