Sunday, May 06, 2007

Perspectives On Jewish Witchcraft

י"ח באייר תשס"ז

Dov comments on Real Witchcraft:

I think that Jewish perspectives on witchcraft are more complex than any one commentary's opinion, since Rambam and Ramban give very different explanations that reflect very different understandings of the spiritual universe.

That said, it's not necessarily prohibited to read books about people doing things that Jews are prohibited from doing. We can enjoy the books and learn lessons from them even if it would be prohibited for us to engage in the same magic ourselves.

As Dov writes, Jewish perspectives on witchcraft are complex and not unitarily understood. Witchcraft itself is complex and not a homogenous method of practice. There are many ways to be a witch and to practice witchcraft. While some of those ways may be prohibited to Jews, I don't accept that all of them are necessarily prohibited to Jews.

From what Dov writes, I gather that he accepts as prohibited whatever his rabbi tells him is prohibited. I don't. While advice I may consider, the final decision on what I do and how I practice is mine and mine alone.

I am a Jewish witch and I intend to remain one. Importantly, my witchcraft practice is neither prohibited by Torah nor idolatrous. I reject the designations of closed minds against me.

Technorati tags:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats good and all, but the Old Testament still says "Suffer not a Witch to Live". Hashem is obvious in his/her/it's hatred towards any kind of Magic, and there are clear commandments and mitzvahs for not doing certain branches of the occult. Idk it was a really hard law for me to understand.

Lori said...

First, the Old Testament is not my Holy Book. Second, I am Hashem, so don't tell me what I hate or don't hate. I'm a pantheist-atheist, so I really don't care for engaging in the kind of argument that goes into superstitious God-talk. It bores me silly.

Dare to be true to yourself.