Monday, May 07, 2007

Witchcraft And Kabbalah

כ" באייר תשס"ז

Jacob Da Jew thinks I'm Wiccan (see comments). I'll say it again.

I am not a Wiccan witch. I'm a kabbalistic Jewitch who incorporates elements of Celtic witchcraft and Native American shamanism into my practice. Celtic witchcraft is not Wicca either, even though Wicca also incorporates elements of Celtic witchcraft into its system. In other words, Celtic witchcraft and Wicca are independent of one another, though related. Wicca is a religion. Celtic witchcraft is a practice of witches with Celtic heritage who may or may not be secular and who may or may not be religious.

So, I suppose one could say witchcraft, in general, is like kabbalah - there are many forms of it, and while it can constitute an independent religion of its own, it may also be practiced within the sphere of any other religion or spiritual practice. There are many eclectic witches who practice the craft within the context one of the more mainstream religions. Neither negates the other, despite that the mainstream religions might wish to negate witchcraft.

Witchcraft as a practice is also like kabbalah in that its aims are to understand the structure of Divinity, to work with that knowledge in a practical way to improve the world, and to develop oneself as an integral part of the Divine. The true practice of witchcraft is an evolutionary practice.

I personally feel I can legitimately wear a Jewish star, a Jewitch star, the pentacle of witchcraft or a shamanic medicine bag, for example. All of these symbols are part of my ancestry and legitimate spiritual heritage. I claim them all as mine.

Technorati tags:

6 comments:

Jacob Da Jew said...

Allow me to clarify something for the record.

In no way have I intended to cast doubt on your religious beliefs. I have read your blog a few times and you seem very knowledgeable in Judaism.

I have not intended to cast you as Wicca Witch. My question was aimed towards exploring how curses work etc, I guess a more specialized question. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, my fault.

My apologies.

Thanks for all your comments.

Lori said...

ok

yitz said...

Everyone's life choices are those that they live with, but how does Judaism and witch-craft square al pi halachah?

may yours and my own yirath shamayim always outweigh our knowledge.

Lori said...

Good question. The answer depends upon how one defines "al pi halachah". I'll take a took at exactly what the word construct הלכה means in an upcoming post. Note, there are two letters hei in it.

Siobhan Gorry said...

THANK G-D. Someone like me....

My Father is Irish. My Mother was Spanish Sephardi. I was raised in a secular household. I have stuggled for years to understand the mix of approaches I use in my everyday life. Celtic since childhood, Native American since my teens, and more recently I have been exploring the Kabbalah. I am not Wiccan. Often called this, to my intense irritation by those that dont have the breadth of either perception or knowledge to understand that women of our type deal with spirituality that goes back to the inception of time, space & G-d.

I thank you for giving me permission to be myself. To integrate further, what feels intrisically right. The only boundaries are those created by man (sic), & not those of our type. Mysticism is not about exclusivity, it is about enlightenment that should be available to all people who wish for it. The gift we give is the opportunity to facilitate that finding in themselves.

Shalom
Siobhan

Lori said...

Shalom Siobhan! **Very nice to meet you!** It's a hard path we walk, with little to no support from others. I count you as my friend, a reyah, an anam cara. May you and the path you walk be blessed with kol tov (all goodness).

Dare to be true to yourself.