Friday, May 04, 2007

The Natural Supernatural

י"ז באייר תשס"ז

When I was younger, I worked in a research laboratory as a biochemist. On top of that, I have an INTJ personality. So how is it that I am a Jewitch?

Certainly, it is within my nature to be skeptical of that which appears irrational or unreasoned. On the other hand, also as a scientist (once upon a time), I am excited by the idea of the unknown and unexplainable. Of course, one always seeks to explain it (which is part of the reason I document my "spell data" so profusely and note odd things seemingly connected to either my life or the spellwork).

I don't believe in the supernatural at all. I do believe that there are levels within levels of reality which exist beyond normal or even typical heightened awareness.

My experience won't allow me to turn my rational bend into a sacred cow.

I accept that there is a reality beyond the realm of normal intellectual reason, and while some mystical experiences cannot currently be explained by science or clear reason, I do also believe that these experiences which cannot be explained should, in some manner, drive us to find a way to explain them. In this way, our knowledge advances and we push deeper into the realm of the unknown to begin our explorations anew.

On the one hand, there is reason. On the other hand, there is experience. Over the years, I've come to psychologically manageable terms with the cognitive dissonance which arises from this reality.

Technorati tags:

No comments:

Dare to be true to yourself.