Monday, September 25, 2006

Death Wore Pink

I dreamt. Two dreams.

First one. נ

I was living in a house by a river. The house was sitting upon a raised embankment and the river ran around the valleyed edge of the land. The wooded area where I was living in the dream reminded me of a place called Bismark (ב-שמר-ק, meaning "with guarded kedushah"), a small community north of here. I used to actually live in a "house" in Bismark.

My neighbor's son came over to play with my kids. They all took a bath at my house.

After bathing all the children, I went into the living room only to find my black leather couch (sapah ספה) missing. My husband (unidentified in the dream, I'm not married) was indifferent regarding the stolen couch [1].

I learned that my husband's sister and her husband had stolen my couch. They had no intention of returning it. My husband remained indifferent to the couch.

I wasn't going to bless anyone in his family this year. My couch was stolen and no one cared.

Second one. ן

I was going to work at the nursing home. I arrived as usual to find all the nurses gathered in one of the hallways wearing the same kind of pink [2] nursing scrubs. The hall was full of pink-clad nurses. I was wearing the usual long black skirt and lab coat.

They were all excited about the gift [matat, 3] of pretty pink scrubs. Apparently, someone had donated big boxes and boxes of the free pink scrubs for the home's nurses, one nurse told me. The free scrubs were in the employee breakroom, she said, I could take as many as I wanted. They were free.

I went into the employee breakroom to see for myself. And there they were! Huge boxes full of pink scrubs. There was even a portable rack hanging full of them. A few nurses were rummaging through the scrubs, picking out the ones they wanted prior to beginning the work shift. I pulled out a pink scrub top from one of the boxes to look at it more closely.

All of sudden, as soon as I had touched the pink scrub, I became overwhelmingly sleepy [4] - narcoleptic even. I was having difficulty staying awake. I had to lay down. I dropped the pink scrub from my hand and layed down upon one of the employee couches in the breakroom - just for a minute, I told myself. I'd lay down just for a little minute to rest and regather my "energy".

I had to fight going to sleep. I fought it. I can't go to sleep! I thought. Suddenly, I saw the whitish hand of death [matat-mavet, 3] come out from underneath the couch I was laying upon. The hand of death reached out into the breakroom and pulled someone wearing pink scrubs under the couch to her death. Death was "picking off" those wearing pink scrubs one by one.

The pink scrubs were a lure! They were a "free" gift "buying" any wearer's right to life. In other words, the pink scrubs were a "sign" marking one for death.

I was glad I had not put on a pink scrub top.

I woke up. I am awake, not dead.

Footnotes:

[1] ספה, the root of sapah, implies suffering another's punishment, combining for negative purpose - in other words, a heap pf negativity and destruction. So, in stealing my couch, they have stolen the injustice being done to me and have "heaped" it upon themselves for this New Year.

[2] Pink, in terms of insight of the inner eye, is a blend of red (binah) and white (chochmah). Thus, pink represents a blend of chochmah and binah.

[3] "The medieval Hebrew word connoting death, memotet, has another echo, matanah, or matat, a gift. Thus God gives life and also gives another gift, an afterlife, a "useful" death." - from commentary on a poem in the Yom Kippur liturgy

[4] "Sleep is one-sixtieth of death." The Inner Dimension on the letter samekh, ס

Technorati tags:

No comments:

Dare to be true to yourself.