Saturday, February 23, 2013

Saga in Gylfaginning

In follow-up and addition to my previous post, I found this on Saga (and Frigg) as discussed in Gylfaginning:

In answer to ‘Who are the  Asyniur?’
 
‘The highest (first) is Frigg.  She has a dwelling called Fensalir and it is very splendid.  Second is Sága.  She dwells at Sökkvabekkr, and that is a big place.’ [From Snorri Sturluson’s Edda, translated by Anthony Faulkes]

This snippet from the lore brings Frigg and Saga together in the same discussion and in the same order as does my poem (in the previous post fully with excerpts reposted below) about one of my own preincarnate experiences. Follow this:

The highest (first) is Frigg.  

The etymology of the name Frigg is thus:

in Icelandic as frjá which means "to love." All of these names, as well as the words friend and affray are ultimately from the Proto-Indo-European (PIE) root pri- meaning 'to love.'

What are the first lines of my poem? These are clearly Frigg-lines which pertain to loving:

from the mind inscribed before time in a dreamlike primeval existence
before my life began, at your side, I loved you
set before seeing

Consequently, first (highest) in my poem is Frigg.

Second is Saga.

Second in my poem comes Saga, goddess of Cosmic Memory whose name means "epic story", who ends my poem with these Saga-lines:

try as I might to rewrite the story, I cannot forget the truth
and some things can never be fixed

In my experience, Frigg and Saga are one and the same. Frigg, in my mind, represents a state of consciousness where love exists pristinely. Frigg (a pristine, unassailable core) remains silent in the face of seeming betrayal, then comes Saga (who deals with the baneful experience as consciousness continues to unfold from the core) and tries to rewrite the story as it unfolds into history, over and over again, trying to "fix it." I now see Frigg as an aspect of the unchanging essence, Saga as the power to act.

Not only am I Saga (in the mythic sense of archetypal consciousness), but I am Frigg as well. 

No comments:

Dare to be true to yourself.