Thursday, May 23, 2013

My Birth Rune

Hagall / Hagalaz

An interesting synchronicity to note in follow-up to tonight's earlier post which brought out the association of fornekja (traditional Icelandic witchcraft, the word which translates as "old one") to my experience of Being and preincarnate memories. My nightly rune drawing just a few minutes ago was Hagall.

The rune Hagall has this rune poem associated with it:

(Hagall) es kaldastr korna;
Kristr skop heim inn forna.

Forna, in this rune poem, means "olden times" and is written within the context of the world being shaped, similar to the way in which my memories pertain to the shaping of "my world" of experience. One of my memories even directly pertains to seeing my "edges and edges" being shaped.

This is simply awesome . I remember reading or hearing something in passing (don't know the source) about each person having a birth rune - I am wondering if Hagall is my birth rune.

Another interesting synchronicity is that in between writing my previous post and the rune drawing, I watched a tv show in which was featured (as a small part in the story plot) a high school dance called "Fire and Ice." In the Elder Futhark, Hagalaz (corresponding to Hagall of the Younger Futhark) holds in its form wholeness both fire and ice. Hagalaz is the ninth number in the Elder Futhark and is the rune (according to Runelore by Edred Thorsson) "in which all runes are held." Nine is the number associated with Odin's obtaining of the runes while hanging upon Yggdrasil.

I too have been hung upon Yggdrasil, just like Odin. All of the runes are in me.

I know that I hung on a windy tree
nine long nights,
wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin,
myself to myself,
on that tree of which no man knows
from where its roots run
[Havamal 137]

No comments:

Dare to be true to yourself.