Sunday, August 09, 2009

Quietly Under The Apple Tree

י"ט באב תשס״ט
Lughnasadh 20

The traditional home of the unicorn is known to be beneath the apple tree. Legend teaches that if a pure woman sits quietly beneath the apple tree, the unicorn will come, lay his head in her lap and allow her to fed him apples.

In follow-up to my earlier entry, Still Alive In Me, and in honor of my Celtic-Germanic ancestors, I now own a handcrafted stunning set of magical runes made in the traditional way from a single continuous length of wood from a fruit-bearing apple tree. My set also includes a (blank) wyrd rune. Each rune has the bark still attached and was sawn and sanded by hand, without the use of power tools. Each rune symbol was pyrographed into the wood (also without the use of an electric pyrography tool) by heating in a flame various metal straight lines of different lengths before applying them to the bare wood.

When the time is right - perhaps around Samhain - each rune will be traditionally consecrated and stained with drops of my own blood mixed with red ochre on a white cloth (which will be ritually burned after the runes dry).

I am making my rune bag in the traditional way as well - sewn by my own hand and fashioned from an article of my own clothing.

I invite all my ancestors to attend the ritual preparation and consecration of my mystically magical runes. We are alive. May we all be a blessing and be blessed.



1 comment:

Lori said...

Yes, they are! :)

Dare to be true to yourself.