Friday, October 06, 2006

Petachya & Law School

I dreamt.

I was at the University. It was the first day of classes.

We students were going to each of our classes, getting books, and making final decisions on whether or not to to 'really' take the class (חוג). In other words, if we bought the books for the class and picked up the assignment, we were "settling" into actually taking the class. We had a week in which to make a "final" decision.

My class list was overfull. I had jammed it full of things I was interested in taking. My friend remarked on how full my schedule was. I looked at it. She was right.

I could "manage" the overfull classload, but would I really do well if I stretched myself so thinly? I doubted it. So, I needed to drop a few classes and concentrate on the things I really wanted to study. I would go to each introductory class and see how I felt at the end of the day. Then, I would decide which classes to stick with and which to drop.

Midway through the day, the next to the last class I attended, was a biochemistry class. My friend happened to be taking all the same classes that I was taking. We went to class together.

This particular biochemistry class was a high-level curriculum of study. I would get alot of respect for sticking with this class, and earn an easy "A" grade to boot, since I knew I already had a degree in biochemistry from a previous time. I would be "heads ahead" of the other students taking the class. But, I already knew this stuff. One of the students remarked that the class had a real biochemist among us (indicating me). They were all impressed.

I didn't buy the books for the class, even though the large books were beautiful and elegantly leather bound, and exquisitely printed. Not because of money (for some reason money was not a factor, like my scholarship would pay for the materials associated with whatever classes I decided to take), but I wasn't sure ... I already knew this stuff, and considered dropping this class, despite the easy "A". I could always buy the books tomorrow if I changed my mind. We had a week to make up our minds. So, I left at the end of class without the class books.

My friend had bought the books for the biochemistry class, while I hadn't. I had a feeling, we would be parting ways soon.

All the classes up to this point had been on the main campus (derekh). But, for surveying the last class of the schoolday, my friend and I boarded a schoolbus. The law school class was not located on the main campus. It was in a rather secluded area (netiv) surrounded by trees.

We drove through a rather expensively kept area of campus. The surroundings were elegant yet simple. The bus drove past the main building and to a smaller, but still very elegant building for "newbies". It was the law school.

My friend and I went inside for class. The books were not elegant to look at. The print was large and of variable sizes and fonts and stuff. In fact, the books looked indeed, very badly published. BUT, inside the books, ohmygosh! the words were concise, precise and my mind focused sharply on them automatically, as if my mind had a mind of its own! I could really sharpen my mind (chedvah from the root chad) learning this stuff! I was giddy (חגג). These books were beautiful in my eyes.

Ohhhh! I wanted these books, even if they were simple looking, relatively thin, worn and not leather bound or styled with fancy fonts and layout. I picked up the books and purchased them with my scholarship account. I was going to law school for sure! and decided then and there to drop the biochemistry class. I picked up the first class assignment and the class syllabus.

In my excitement at picking up books, the class assignments and syllabus, my keys somehow got thrown into a pile (teli) with another student's keys and class stuff who was also sitting at our table, though my friend and I were the only ones sitting there at that particular moment when I discovered my keys missing - and saw them in the pile of class stuff of the student sitting across from me at the round student table. I picked up my keys from among his things.

I hope you didn't pick up his keys instead of yours, my friend remarked. I looked at the keys I had picked up. I think these are my keys, I said. I was a pretty sure they were mine, but not entirely sure. I looked at the keys of the student who had been sitting across from me (who was up and about buying his law books at the moment) - the keys remaining in his pile looked the same as mine almost. Hmm. I wasn't sure. I think I have my own keys.

I woke up.

Technorati tags:

No comments:

Dare to be true to yourself.