Monday, March 05, 2012

Hg U5 (Clan Ursula) Among Ashkenazi Jews From Middle East and Central Asia

י״א באדר תשע"ב
Keowulf 13
Ash 16

A transcript of the document in the Journal of Genetic Genealogy 1:12-33, 2005, A MOSAIC OF PEOPLE: THE JEWISH STORY AND A REASSESSMENT OF THE DNA EVIDENCE isn't at all transcripted well, but this is basically what it says (about 7/8 way down the page) regarding Hg U5 (Clan Ursula) among Ashkenazi Jews originally from the Middle (Near) East and Central Asia:

... the distribution of U5 is more complex, given that (it) comprises 7% of Ashkenazi results, (revealing that) it (U5) occurs not only in European groups, but that (it is also) common only among Eastern Ashkenazim (from the) Middle East and Central Asia ...

This is consistent with the results of my autosomal STR Middle Eastern Panel, which indicate that my ancestors spent a long time in the Middle East (as well as in Northwestern Europe per my European Panel). My own mtDNA results, coupled with my STR regional panels, strongly suggest that I am an Ashkenazi Jew (given my closest genetic matches from my mtDNA results) originally from the Middle East whose ancestors have also spent significant time in Northwestern Europe and Scandinavia, acquiring an admixture of genes there as well.

No comments:

Dare to be true to yourself.