Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Autism & Rectifying The Middot

In an earlier post I wrote:


This is important to understand when dealing with anger management to realize how one is able to effectively deal with the intense negative energy born of frustration. Clearly, in my case, my life experience demonstrates that my "S" function is an ineffective tool for dealing with anger issues for me, an INTJ with a moderate "J" function. That may be different for other personality types. Moreover, again considering myself as an example, my weak "S" function cannot be effectively integrated into my overall personality through nursing, a task-set which augments and supports an internal anger response over redirecting "angry" energy.

Today, I began to understand why this is true regarding my "S" function - not only from a personality perspective, but from a perspective which also takes into account the autistic tendencies of my personality as described in this post, Tzav Letzav.

As a high-functioning individual on the autistic spectrum, I also have sensory integration dysfunction, described in this excerpt from wiki:


Sensory Integration Dysfunction is a neurological disorder causing difficulties with processing information from the five classic senses (vision, auditory, touch, olfaction, and taste), the sense of movement (vestibular), and/or the positional sense (proprioception)[1]. Sensory information is sensed normally, but perceived abnormally. This is not the same as blindness or deafness because sensory information is sensed but tends to be analyzed by the brain in an unusual way that may cause pain or confusion [2].

Sensory integration dysfunction can be a disorder on its own, but it can also be a characteristic of other neurological conditions, including autism spectrum disorders ...

This additional data supports the idea that the path to perfecting the middot is highly individualized. Importantly, perhaps beyond a few general guidelines, it may even be harmful to approach rectifying the middot using a general one-size-fits-all strategy, and as a teacher, without any deep understanding of the student.

Autism & Rectifying The Will

JBlog Me

technorati tags:

No comments:

Dare to be true to yourself.