Thursday, June 15, 2006

Eruvin 64b

I looked up and read eruvin 64b yesterday following reading an entry on parshablog1 about it (brought to my attention by Josh Waxman commenting on a previous entry) and had a dream this morning about "food on the floor" versus "on the table". The part of the dream pertaining to the food on the floor issue:

I was going out to eat at a restaurant with my husband. I had a newspaper with a piece of clear tape on it. Underneath the clear thick packing or mailing tape was an invisible embryo which was being protected from being "lost in the wind" because of its small size invisible to the naked eye.

I also brought a small plate of food with me for my son, I told the waitress. Don't mess with it. It's special food. I didn't tell her this (that it was special food or what it contained), but in the food on the plate that I had brought was an egg I was protecting.

My husband and I were looking for a place to sit in the restaurant and somehow the plates of food associated with the table of my husband and I were moved by the waitresses. Some plates were on the floor by the table. Some were on the table. There were 4 or 5 plates of food. I became angry and started to berate the waitresses for putting my special plate of food (with the egg in it) on the floor - didn't they know it was holy! But, when I went over to pick up the plate of food off the floor, I saw it wasn't my plate with the egg in it, it was some other plate of food - not mine with the egg in it. So, I just left it there. My plate of food with the egg in it was on the table.

I calmed down and backed off berating the waitresses. I woke up.

In consequence to this dream immediately following reading this daf (in english and seeing it in hebrew), I am curious as to any insights anyone can offer regarding the daf.

1 From Another Interface Between Halacha and the Supernatural, Eruvin 64b:

אמר מר ואין מעבירין על האוכלין אמר רבי יוחנן משום רבי שמעון בן יוחאי לא שנו אלא בדורות הראשונים שאין בנות ישראל פרוצות בכשפים אבל בדורות האחרונים שבנות ישראל פרוצות בכשפים מעבירין תנא שלימין מעבירין פתיתין אין מעבירין אמר ליה רב אסי לרב אשי ואפתיתין לא עבדן והכתיב (יחזקאל יג) ותחללנה אותי אל עמי בשעלי שעורים ובפתותי לחם דשקלי באגרייהו

technorati tags:

No comments:

Dare to be true to yourself.