Saturday, April 21, 2012

When Wales Was Jewish

In one of my autosomal DNA analyses (lookly broadly at the ancestry I inherited from both of my parents), Wales came in as one of my top five matches (along with Sweden, UK, Norway and Scotland) for Deep Ancestral Origins. Coupled with the results of my motherline genetic test and dreams I've had over years about being a Jew living among the Druids in ancient Celtic lands (in one dream, I was a half-breed Celtic-Jew taken under the tutelege of two Druidic priestesses), this is interesting:

When Wales Was Jewish

Significantly, Welsh tradition associates the Iron Age hilltop town on Conwy Mountain known as Castell Caer Seion with a settlement of ancient Jews. This site overlooks Conwy Bay on the north coast of Wales and lies on the ancient road between Prestatyn in Denbighshire and Bangor in Gwynedd opposite Angelsey. In the Black Book of Caermarthen, the Welsh national bard Taliesin casually remarks in the persona of the battling hero,

When I return from Caer Seon,

From contending with Jews,

I will come to the city of Lleu and Gwidion.[v]


Lleu and Gwidion are the names of two other legendary figures; they are believed to be historical and to have lived in the early centuries of the Common Era or anterior to it.

It is hard to avoid the thought that the hilly area to the west of the town of Conwy, in North Wales was once inhabited by Jews."

No comments:

Dare to be true to yourself.