Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Television & Serious Magical Work

י"ח בטבת תשס"ח
Grael 19

I don't own a television and haven't for several years. I don't feel television is morally "wrong" - I do watch a few selected shows (Planet Earth is awesome) or movies on the televisions of others at times, but for myself, I don't own one. I don't watch it enough to make owning one worthwhile. I enjoy silence and have a real physical aversion to senseless noise.

It is of little wonder to me that television is considered by many mystics to be the "enemy" of serious magical work. R. J. Stewart (The Spirit Cord) writes:

If you are serious about your spiritual/magical work, television is your enemy.

Real magic involves rectification and elevation of the imagination. Television, when not used judiciously, works against achieving this.

No comments:

Dare to be true to yourself.