Friday, July 28, 2006

Houseshoes For The Healer

I dreamt.

I was working in a hospital. It was early in the shift. A male patient on another unit was having chest pain. He called me, not the nurse on the unit where he was. I told him what the nurses needed to do after assessing the clinical data. He hung up the phone, comforted.

It was near the end of my shift. The man on the other unit (which I now realized was in another hospital across town) was having chest pain again. He called the paramedics to come and get me. He needed me to survive this cardiac episode - he wasn't pleased with the actions of the nurses there. They weren't doing the things I told him needed to be done.

The paramedics arrived where I was working. It was very late in the shift, but I agreed to go with them. Then, I realized that I had been working in very raggedy pajama-like clothes and a light blue night robe - barefoot too. I couldn't believe I had worked all shift like this. I didn't want to go to the nice new hospital like this, but the man was having a heart attack and needed me, so I agreed to go anyway.

In the paramedic truck, there were two pair of houseshoes on the floorboards that the driver kindly said I could put on so that I at least wouldn't have to be barefoot. I hadn't asked, but he saw me eyeing them. I initially put on the light blue pair of "flip-flop" house shoes (that are open at the heel) - they were easy to slip into. But, when I emerged from the truck, walking in them, they flip-flopped too much to be good walking shoes. I turned back to the truck to change the light blue flip-flops for the dark blue pair of houseshoes that covered my whole foot.

I woke up.

UPDATE 08.04.06 on shoelessness

technorati tags:

No comments:

Dare to be true to yourself.